Job no: 502449 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 330100 - Information Tech Infrastructure Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Support Staff Position Open Date: Apr 30 2021
A Computer Electronics Technician position is responsible for assisting with diagnosing, maintaining, and repairing all computer hardware related issues for ITS supported departments including Apple and Windows/Intel based products. This position also assists and recommends departmental hardware purchases relating to system upgrades working within University policies and procedures. This is a customer focused position that requires a strong sense of urgency, open communication, technical skills, customer service skills, and the aptitude to learn various information technology systems within our campus IT hardware environment.
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Computer Electronics Technician position. The absence of specific statements of duties and responsibilities does not exclude those tasks from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of this position.
1. Manages and/or resolves clients' information technology hardware problems and issues: a. Monitors appropriate queue for tickets assigned. b. Communicates with superiors regarding issues and problems in the field. c. Regularly communicates with clients regarding problems and/or issues. d. Troubleshoots and resolves problems efficiently and in a timely manner which may require working beyond the normally scheduled work hours. e. Provides coordination with secondary support if necessary and closes tickets when problems are resolved to clients' satisfaction.
2. Provide additional support material to MSU clients as required: a. Identifies service alternatives. b. Provide contact and shipping information for 3rd party or manufacturer repair.
3. Basic understanding and skills in installation and troubleshooting of Windows and Macintosh operating systems when diagnosing hardware issues: a. Experience with multiple versions of Windows and Mac operating systems. b. Analytical skills to troubleshoot operating system problems in order to isolate hardware issues. c. Take initiative to learn the latest updates, service packs, and/or operating versions.
4. Provide recommendations and alternatives to clients for computer hardware upgrades/replacements. a. Work with clients to provide cost estimates for replacement or upgrade of hardware.
5. Remains current on information technology issues related to hardware and OS platforms across the campus computing environment and provides information and assistance to clients and colleagues with new information technology hardware acquisitions. a. Reads IT related publications (publications or Web delivered). b. Stays current with new or new versions of technology and shares this information with clients and colleagues.
6. Provide good customer service. a. Anticipates clients' needs and respond in an appropriate and timely manner.
7. Basic understanding and use of hardware and OS diagnostic software.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in technology or relatable field. One year relatable job experience. Working knowledge of Apple OS and Mac systems hardware. Working knowledge of MS Windows OS and PC systems hardware. Valid MS driver's license.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management and MSU/ITS.
Familiarity with Apple OS and systems hardware. Familiarity with Windows OS and PC systems hardware. Familiarity with the specification and procurement process for all components required for PC/Apple upgrades and repairs. Certifications and/or ability to complete training for Apple Authorized Service Technician and Dell Certified Technician. Good interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to concentrate/focus for long periods of time. Ability to handle multiple tasks throughout the day with minimum supervision. Self-motivated. Famliarity with using software and hardware diagnostic tools to analyze hardware and software issues. Ability to initiate new tasks after an assigned task has been completed or passed on with minimum supervision. Ability to learn new technologies. Familiarity with installation and support of PC and/or Apple S/applicator software. Good oral and communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
May require occasional overtime. May require exposure to high voltage equipment. Occasional lifting of heavy equipment <=30 lbs. Occasional exposure to cleaning solutions, glues, dust, and airborne particles.
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 502449
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/