To lead a team in planning, implementing and directing all administrative, programming, community engagement, sponsorship and underwriting, technical operations, and fundraising activities of WBHM 90.3 FM and the Gulf States Newsroom. To manage functions including budget, personnel, strategic planning, staffing, and assuring compliance with National Public Radio, Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Federal Communications Commission rules/regulations, as well as any other legal/contact/regulatory requirements. To represent the station and the university with a variety of internal and external constituencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Develops and oversees strategic planning for WBHM and its goals and objectives based on industry standards and to maximize the station's vital service to the community.
2. Oversees and supports the Gulf States Newsroom managing editor and operations.
3. Measures and analyzes the station's objectives and short- and long-term plans to meet the station's goals.
4. Provides vision, leadership and support for station's management team and positions WBHM staff for success in a positive work environment that effectively serves WBHM listeners.
5. Stays current on industry issues and participates in/represents the university in regional and national public broadcasting organizations.
6. Plans, manages and coordinates all WBHM operational activities, including budget development and financial oversight, internal and external audits, entering financial approvals in IRIS, and defining staff qualifications and performance expectations. Ensures compliance with legal/contract Page 2 of 3 requirements, including CPB/NPR/PRI and APM, as well as Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations.
7. Cultivates members and maintains relationships with key constituents (e.g., WBHM Friends Board and WBHM Junior Board).
8. Serves as member of various committees/boards as needed. Serves as the station's major gifts and planned giving officer in coordination with the UAB Office of Advancement.
9. Represents and builds/maintains positive relationships for WBHM and university throughout the community at large. Researches and pursues a variety of revenue streams.
10. Integrates WBHM within the university while maintaining the independence of the newsroom (i.e., separate business and news functions). Writes and administers variety of grants, including annual and special CPB grants, PTFP equipment replacement grants, etc.
11. Serves as the spokesperson for WBHM and as a public speaker at numerous civic organizations.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary Range: $70,425 - $110,000
Bachelor's degree in Broadcasting, Communications, Journalism Business, Marketing, Advertising, Public Administration, Non-profit Management, Advancement/Fundraising, or a related field and seven (7) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
In fall 2018, UAB had a third consecutive year of record-high over all enrollment with 21,923 students, including its largest freshman class ever (2,299), with enrollment growth in every school on campus and in the acclaimed UAB Honors College. The freshman class had an average ACT of 25.2 and GPA of 3.73- both higher than 2017. UAB's students are talented and diverse, with minority students making up 40.5 percent of the freshman class and 39.7 percent of the entire of the student body. Logo Logo UAB is was recently recognized as the Top Young University in the U.S. and 10th globally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. UAB research expenditures are at a record high, exceeding $562 million in FY17, and UAB ranks 15th in federal funding nationally among public universities (top 4 percent) and 31st overall (top 5 percent). In National Institutes of Health funding, UAB ranks 8th among public universities (top 2 percent) and 23rd overall (top 4 percent) with more than $244 million. UAB Health system has over one million patient visits annually and is home to Alabama's largest hospital and the 3rd largest public hospital in the U.S. UAB houses the state's only level ...1 adult trauma center and the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in Alabama and a five-state region. UAB is the state's largest single-site employer, with more than 23,000 employees, and has an annual economic impact of over $7.15 billion on Alabama.