Job Summary: Functions as a first assistant during operative and other invasive procedures in accordance with credentials, privileges, experience, education and competency verification.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Reviews patient health data relevant to the operative or invasive procedure (i.e. history and physical).
- Functions as a first assistant during operative and other invasive procedures by: o providing exposure through correct use of instruments, retractors, suction, and sponging techniques as directed by the surgeon; o handling and dissecting tissues as directed by the surgeon; o clamping blood vessels, coagulating bleeding points, and ligating vessels as directed by the surgeon; o placing drains as directed by the surgeon; o suturing muscle, fascia, subcutaneous, and skin as directed by the surgeon.
- Serves as a resource to peers, colleagues, and others in relation to first assistant activities.
- Maintains regulatory, credentialing, and privileging requirements necessary for practice as a first assistant.
- Participates in ongoing educational and competency verification activities applicable to first assistant activities. - Maintains privacy and confidentiality of individuals and health information.
- Participates in ongoing quality and performance improvement activities in accordance with position, education, and practice environment. - Initiates changes in perioperative practice through knowledge gained and shared via the quality and performance improvement process.
- Compares quality of practice to current literature and guidelines, facility or health care organization policies and procedures, and regulatory and accreditation standards.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalency
Licenses / Certifications: Required: American Heart Association BLS Certification in surgical technology from AST or degree from accredited first assistant training program required such as Military Training as Surgical First Assist Preferred: American Heart Association ACLS Certification as a first assist assistant
Operating Room Experience: Previous experience in Operating Room or related area required. Knowledgeable on the standard of practice in Surgical Technology and Surgical First Assisting.
Work Schedule: Shift changes may occur according to Union Hospital's scheduling policy to accommodate the need of the unit. This includes working irregular hours including call hours.
Internal Number: JR57651
About ChristianaCare Health System
ChristianaCare Health System is headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware and is one of the country's largest health care providers, ranking 21st in the nation for hospital admissions. Christiana Care is proudly a Nurse Magnet recognized institution. Christiana Care Health System is also one of the largest health care providers in the mid-Atlantic region, serving all of Delaware and portions of seven counties bordering the state in Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey. A not-for-profit, non-sectarian health system, Christiana Care includes two hospitals with more than 1,100 patient beds, and is a major teaching hospital with two campuses. Christiana Care is continually recognized for excellence on a regional and national level. Our role in the community is expressed in the Christiana Care Way: "We serve our neighbors as respectful, expert, caring partners in their health. We do this by creating innovative, effective, affordable systems of care that our neighbors value."Christiana Care is a great place to work because we value diversity and recognize it to be a core part of our success. Because of the diversity of our employees, affiliated health professionals and volunteers, we are ...positioned to meet the unique needs of our patients and community. We acknowledge and celebrate the uniqueness and talent of each employee. Because of our talented workforce we are able to provide a quality healthcare experience to our patients and community. We strive to create an inclusive environment in which individual diversity can be leveraged and thrive. Christiana Care Health System is an equal opportunity employer, firmly committed to prohibiting discrimination, whose staff is reflective of its community and considers qualified applicants for open positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.