Chemical Operator - Light Duty Department-2100421 We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Where the Chemistry Happens...
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with strong emphasis process safety, as well as safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team--especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
Chemical Operator I - 2002 - Huntsville, AL
* Follows work instructions, procedures and product specifications; adds specified amounts of raw materials into vessels or blending tanks; sets valves to feed liquid and solid materials through equipment units.
* Sets controls in specified sequence on control panel to start automatic feed.
* Weighs out quantities of powdered or liquid chemicals, following formula sheets.
* Starts and monitors feed of solid or semi-solid materials through equipment units, such as mills, heating vessels and mixing tanks.
* Dumps pre-weighed ingredients into tanks, hoppers, or ball/continuous mills.
* Adjusts controls and valves to maintain system at specified temperature, pressure, and vacuum levels.
* Observes chemical reactions; monitors gauges, samples and data recorders; and receives notification from analytical laboratory, supervisor, or other workers to make specified operating adjustments.
* Observes gauges, and instruments, turns valves, and moves controls to regulate temperatures, pressures, and flow of steam, coolant, and chemical constituents through system to effect prescribed reaction within critical limits, according to knowledge of equipment and process.
* Draws samples of product at specified stages of synthesis and performs standard tests to determine if manufacturing is proceeding efficiently and in conformity with specifications.
* Attaches hoses, pumps or transfer equipment to move completed slurry to holding area or manufacturing coating equipment.
Work environment/Physical demands
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
* The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
* The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers, handle and feel as well as to reach with hands and arms.
* The employee is frequently required to stand and sit as well as frequently required to walk, stoop, bend and climb stairs.
* The Chemical Operator I must frequently move hoses and drums, and lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
* The use of personal protection equipment is required including, safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection and gloves.
* The use of respirators and splash protection may be required.
* The employee may be required to work mandatory overtime and/or twelve hour shifts.
* Must be able to work with minimal supervision and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations while performing tasks which may require multiple steps
* Ability to operate complex machines and often including use of intermediate computer skills
* Must demonstrate enhanced trouble shooting skills within their assigned process
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You...
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you--the whole you--in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You...
* High School Diploma/GED
* 2 years work experience in a production/manufacturing plant
* 2 years experience a Chemical Operations plant
* Experienced in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc)
* Demonstrated enhanced math and/or science ability
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
At BASF, we create chemistry – and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world’s leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.