Job no: 501911 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 330100 - Information Tech Infrastructure Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Support Staff Position Open Date: Dec 18 2020
A Senior Computer Electronics Technician position is responsible for taking a lead role with diagnosing, maintaining, and repairing all computer hardware related issues for ITS supported departments including Apple and Windows/Intel based products. This position also takes a lead role with assisting and recommending to our MSU client community computer system hardware upgrades. This position requires knowledge of and compliance with University policies and procedures. This is a customer focused position that requires a strong sense of urgency, open communication, technical skills, customer service skills, and the aptitude to learn various information technology systems within our campus IT hardware environment. The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Senior Computer Electronics Technician position. The absence of specific statements of duties and responsibilities does not exclude those tasks from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of this position.
1. Takes lead on managing and resolving clients' information technology hardware problems and issues: a. Monitors appropriate queue for tickets assigned. b. Communicates with superiors and subordinates regarding issues and problems in the field. c. Regularly communicates with clients regarding problems and/or issues. d. Troubleshoots and resolves problems efficiently and in a timely manner which may require working beyond the normally scheduled work hours. e. Provides coordination with secondary support if necessary and closes tickets when problems are resolved to clients' satisfaction.
2. Responsible for providing additional support material to MSU clients as required: a. Identifies service alternatives. b. Provide contact shipping information for third party or manufacturer repair.
3. Takes lead on installation and troubleshooting of Windows and Macintosh operating systems when diagnosing hardware issues: a. Experience with multiple versions of Windows and Mac operating systems. b. Analytical skills to troubleshoot operating system problems in order to isolate hardware issues. c. Take initiative to learn the latest updates, service packs, and/or operating versions.
4. Leads and coordinates recommendations and alternatives to clients for computer hardware upgrades/replacements. a. Work with clients to provide cost estimates for replacement or upgrade of hardware.
5. Remains current on information technology issues related to hardware and OS platforms across the campus computing environment and provides information and assistance to clients and colleagues with new information technology hardware acquisitions. a. Reads IT related publications (publications or Web delivered). b. Stays current with new or new versions of technology and shares this information with clients and colleagues.
6. Provide excellent customer service. a. Anticipates clients' needs and responds in an appropriate and timely manner.
7. Provides lead support with use of hardware and OS diagnostic software.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in technology or a related field. Five years of relatable job experience. Extensive knowledge of Apple OS and Mac systems hardware. Extensive knowledge of MS Windows OS and PC systems hardware. Valid driver's license. -OR- Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management and MSU/ITS.
Certifications related to repair of Windows and/or Apple based systems (or acceptable alternative certifications as approved by MSU/ITS such as the following: -A+ certification or acceptable equivalent -Dell Hardware Certification on Desktop and Mobile platforms -Apple GSX certifications on OS and Hardware platforms
Working knowledge of the specification and procurement processes for all components required for PC/Apple upgrades and repairs.
Experience with Printer troubleshooting and repair. -Printer Certifications and/or ability to complete training and certification when required.
Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Familiarity with Service Desk ticketing system. Ability to concentrate/focus for long periods of time. Ability to handle multiple tasks throughout the day with minimum supervision. Self-motivated. Skilled with using software and hardware diagnostic tools to analyze hardware and software issues. Ability to initiate new tasks after an assigned task has been completed or passed on with minimum supervision. Ability to stay current with new technologies. Job experience with installation and support of PC and/or Apple/OS application software. Good oral and communication skills. Occasional lifting of 30lbs.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
May require occasional overtime. Working on equipment with high voltage. Occasional lifting of heavy equipment up to 30lbs. Occasional exposure to cleaning solutions, glues, dust, and airborne particles.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 501911
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/