The Benefits Coordinator supports Mercer County Community College’s (MCCC) commitment to creating a robust, streamlined and comprehensive benefit and on-boarding programs to support the campus community. The Benefits Coordinator serves as a point person with faculty and staff to ensure that a benefit enrollments, change and questions are managed efficiently and effectively. The Benefit Coordinator supports the on-boarding and separation processes to ensure an innovative and comprehensive platform and training program is established and maintained.
The Benefits Coordinator supports MCCC by monitoring changes to federal and state legislation related to employment benefits, pension, unemployment, workers’ compensation and employment law to include IRS Section 125, COBRA, ERISA, HIPPA, ADA, Family Medical Leave Act and Workman’s Compensation. The position will act as the expert in advising the campus community on the requirements of the New Jersey State Benefit and Pension Programs and use of the state website and portals to enroll and separate personnel effectively. The position is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the HRIS and Payroll systems to ensure accurate data entry and processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage benefit enrollment activities for all levels of campus community as required within the Human Resources Department. • Administer activities that support all employee benefits programs such as health, prescription, dental, life insurance, disability coverage, defined contribution pension plans and the voluntary contribution programs. • Coordinate, review and assist the campus community with benefits enrollment, policy requirements and compliance, legal compliance, resolving benefit problems and communicating benefits changes as directed by the state and the College Administration. • Review, make necessary transactions and process billing statements to the state and local plan vendors. • Retain, update and manage all employee benefit records. • Develop and deliver reports for management and the state to satisfy scheduled reports, routine requests, and ad hoc reporting to support inquiries and audits. • Monitor employee benefits issues and use good judgment in the resolution of employee benefit problems. • Develop, deliver and promote benefit training programs that support positive employee morale. • Serves as a subject matter expert on the state benefit programs and administration requirements. • Attend and participate in local human resources organization functions on behalf of the company. • Engages in ongoing professional development.
• Participates in new employee orientations and leads the benefits communication and enrollment portions of the process. • Incorporates benefits administration processes into the new hire orientation and on-boarding programs to ensure efficient and effective employee communication and efficient enrollment of employees on the various benefit plans. • Participates in recruitment process by meeting with and communicating to new hires details concerning the College benefit plans and programs. • Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff. • Conducts or acquires background checks, employee eligibility verifications and delivers offers and associated new hire material to prospective candidates. • Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance. • Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, benefits administration, talent management, and employment law. • Performs other duties as assigned.
Unemployment & Workers’ Compensation
• Monitor Unemployment Compensation Claims for the campus community and complete informational materials as requested by the state. • Manage unemployment insurance and workers compensation claims and • May represent the company at hearings and investigations dealing with unemployment insurance and workers compensation claims or issues. • Act as consultant and advisor to direct campus administration on steps to manage and close outstanding Workman’s’ Compensation claims. • Assist in developing restricted duty and medical protocols to close cases. • Review and distribute loss information from Risk Management.
Human Resources Administration
• Assist in development of employee policy and procedures within Human Resources. • Advise and assist in the interpretation and administration of all policies. • Maintains and updates employee communications regarding benefits in the employee handbook. • Uses of existing templates, uses and creates schedules, e-communications, benefits newsletters, emails, broadcast notices to the campus community regarding benefit programs. • Completes other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required. • 3 – 5 years’ experience in a professional role • Understanding or knowledge of the employment law and benefits administration. • Use of College based software systems such as Ellucian / Colleague.
Internal Number: S-0169-2020
About Mercer County Community College
"As a community college faculty, we believe that...our students deserve a high-quality education that challenges them to acquire new knowledge and skills, test their accustomed ideas, and achieve competitive excellence. All of our students, regardless of where they find themselves when they come to us, deserve a caring, creative, and engaged pedagogy that helps them achieve their goals, and which cultivates lifelong learning and a passion to understand themselves and the world. We believe that we must create a college community that engages students in civic life and prepares them to fully participate in our democracy. We are responsible and accountable for giving our students? work our respect and critical evaluation, for holding students to the highest ethical standards, and for providing effective feedback that encourages our students to grow.
MCCC is an equal opportunity employer.
Under the “New Jersey First Act”, effective September 1, 2011 newly hired Mercer employees may be required to live in New Jersey or to move to the state within one year of taking a position. Failure to comply with this residency requirement shall render the person unqualified to continue emplo...yment in their position.
In compliance with Title IX requirements, Mercer County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its education programs and activities.
TITLE IX COORDINATOR
The college’s Title IX Coordinator oversees compliance with all aspects of the sex/gender harassment, discrimination and misconduct policy. Questions and complaints regarding Title IX may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator or the Office of Civil Rights at the following locations and or contact information.
Elizabeth Mizerek, MSN, RN, FN-CSA, CNE, CEN, CPEN, FAEN
Interim Title IX Coordinator
Mercer County Community College
1200 Old Trenton Rd. - MS 125
West Windsor, NJ 08550
Phone: (609) 570-3526 Email: email@example.com
Individuals experiencing harassment or discrimination also always have the right to file a formal grievance with the government authorities:
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
32 Old Slip, 26th Floor
New York, NY 10005-2500
Telephone: (646) 428-3800
Facsimile: (646) 428-3843