Geisinger is conducting a search for the position as Chair of Cardiology and Vice Chair, Heart Institute. In this role, the physician executive will provide leadership to ensure the continued growth, success and excellence of the Department of Cardiology, the Heart Institute and the Geisinger Health System. S/he will be responsible for accelerating the clinical growth of cardiology while ensuring the highest quality in patient satisfaction, community-oriented care, and disciplined financial management. The ideal candidate must possess exceptional administrative, educational, mentoring and recruiting skills that will create a stimulating environment for current faculty members, trainees, students and staff. This leader will have an active role to enable expansion and to bolster the Department and Institute’s clinical, educational excellence and clinical research pursuits. In addition, the physician leader will partner with the Chair of Cardiothoracic Surgery & Vice-Chair Heart Institute and the Heart Institute’s Administrative Vice President to develop and execute the strategy for heart and lung services broadly across Geisinger.
This critical leadership role requires an energetic, dynamic, service-oriented leader who understands and embraces an employed physician model, a private practice model, and the educational mission, and can balance the needs of a tertiary institution with strong training programs, a growing medical school, and a robust clinical research enterprise with the needs of a community hospital committed to clinical excellence. The ideal candidate will recognize the potential that this position has in defining best-practices in cardiovascular care locally, regionally and nationally.
Spencer Stuart is assisting with the search process. For more information, to provide nominations and/or express interest, please contact: Raquel Lentnek via e-mail at RLentnek@spencerstuart.com (preferred) or phone #212-336-0266.
- Exceptional reputation for cardiovascular clinical care and outstanding patient outcomes. Leadership and participation in one or more national or international societies is a plus.
- Accomplished administrative leadership experience in an integrated delivery system, large health center/system or academic institution, e.g., department chair or vice-chair, division chief, residency/fellowship program director, section head. This includes successful experience recruiting and developing clinician colleagues.
- Knowledge of the financial complexities, payer models and associated reimbursement in providing high quality, cost-effective specialty healthcare. Experience in managing all aspects of a high-volume, geographically dispersed clinical service line.
- M.D. or D.O. with board certification in cardiovascular disease. Cardiology subspecialty experience is optional.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Internal Number: N/A
Geisinger is a physician-led integrated health services organization with multiple components. Geisinger offers an array of health services providers, including seven acute-care hospitals with multiple campuses, a Health Plan, Alcohol & Chemical Dependency Treatment Center as well as the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Geisinger operates in 45 of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties, with a significant presence in central, northeastern, and western Pennsylvania. As of March 2020, Geisinger Health cared for approximately 1,190,000 patients and manage nearly 536,000 health plan members, approximately 340,000 of whom were both patients and members resulting in a unique population managed of approximately 1,386,000 people. The first 100 years of the Geisinger story began with a modest rural health facility, which grew to a nationally relevant health system and has expanded and evolved to meet regional needs and developed innovative, national programs in the process. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org and www.geisinger.org/heart.