The Director, Data Governance and Stewardship is responsible for the continued growth and development of the data governance infrastructure of Chicago Booth, one of the premier research institutions in the world.Â The ideal candidate is a person who can create and execute a vision for governance in a complex, data-rich environment that serves the needs of faculty research and strategic decision making for a truly global University with campuses on three continents.Â
The Director leads and manages all Chicago Booth administrative and research data governance activities and is responsible for improving the quality and managing the protection of data and information assets.Â The position focuses on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data policies, standards, and practices to achieve the. level of consistency, quality, and protection to meet overall business needs. The Director serves as a point of escalation for data governance, data quality, and protection issues, and works closely with Business and Functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements, and support the strategic requirements of the department.
1) Serve as a liaison between the Deanâ™s Office, Faculty, and University counterparts to ensure that data-related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated, and well-understood, and are taken into consideration as part of operational prioritization and planning.
2) Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance, establish an effective data stewardship program, and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of Boothâ™s administrative and research data assets.Â
3) Develop and maintain an inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems and owners.
4) Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality standards, data protection standards, and adoption requirements.
5) Centralize and standardize data governance strategy at a school-wide level.
6) Generate, document, and operationalize Boothâ™s data governance knowledge base.
7) Gather buy-in and create data policies and processes, and effectively implement across departments and systems.
8) Create and lead training initiatives related to data governance.
9) Address and mitigate various data risks, ensuring compliance with data privacy laws.
10) Effectively serve as a neutral auditor and partner to users of Boothâ™s administrative and research data.
11) Work independently across business units and IT to align data governance and business strategies on future technology projects.
12) Work with Booth IT Information Security to establish and support data security controls and initiatives.
13) Participate in regular internal and external audits.
14) Serve on Universityâ™s Secure Research Computing Oversight Committee and other appropriate data governance committees as needed.
1) Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data protection management practices
2) Knowledge of data governance practices, business and technology issues related to management of enterprise information assets, and approaches related to data protection.
3) Excellent analytical, organizational, planning and problem solving skills with an ability to prioritize, drive, and complete multiple projects under stringent deadlines, responding to changing priorities.
4) Knowledge of data-related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues
5) Knowledge of Master Data Management, Metadata Management, and Data Quality Management Highly developed skills in priority setting and alignment of project priorities with overall business strategy.
6) Breakdown complex problems and projects into manageable goals.
7) Advise and influence leaders throughout the organization regarding data governance improvement opportunities.
8) Knowledge of change management concepts and strategies as they related to data governance and IT, including communication, culture change, and performance measurement system design.
9) Exceptional ability to build relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
10) Professional demeanor including tact and discretion, with a track record of establishing positive internal and external relationships.
11) A collaborative team player with strong culture awareness.
12) Understanding and appreciation of customer service.
13) Critical and creative thinker.
14) Superior detail orientation and organizational skills.
15) Make sound and logical judgments.
16) Track and analyze data.
17) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
1) Bachelorâ™s degree.
1) Minimum five years of work experience in data governance or similar role.
2) Experience with University administrative data and/or research data.
3) Management experience.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application..
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08388
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.